Welcome!

This is my place to share my creative bits and pieces. My art has no rules, no limits and absolutely no order. My projects change with my moods but for the last few years, my main focus has been paper art. Cards, collage, mixed media and as many techniques as I can get to. My inspiration comes from everywhere.

I hope you enjoy your visit.



Wednesday, January 8, 2014

WELCOME- SPLIT NEGATIVE

Hi Everyone! I had some fun with my Silhouette Cameo electronic cutter, today. I chose "welcome" from Quietfire Design, and cut it out in white cardstock, and black cardstock.
Split Negative is a stamping technique, carried over into paper-piecing, but takes much longer to do. It's a little bit like doing a jig-saw puzzle, and re-positionable tape is a big help.
After removing all the pieces from the cutting mat, I placed the black outside/frame piece right side up, and fit the white lettering into it. Then the black pieces were put in to fill the spaces. Then, I took the white outside/frame piece and laid over the black, carefully matching all the edges. I applied the re-positional tape to keep it aligned. I filled the frame with the remaining pieces, then laid my ruler across it, and cut it from side to side. Another piece of the tape across the piece, before I cut it would have been a good idea too. However, I didn't think of it then, and had to put a lot of pieces back in after I attached the white frame section to the mat, that I'd already edged with my Spellbinders dies.
My ball point glue pen fastened down all the pieces as I continued to build up the rows to complete the design. I left the centers out of both 'e's, just for a little contrast.
The flowers were punched from vellum, stamped with Quietfire Design stamps.

I also ran the panel through an embossing folder, avoiding the decorative edge, making this and an inlaid embossing technique as well.
 
Thank you for stopping by!
 
 

2 comments: