Welcome!

This is my place to share my creative bits and pieces. My art has no rules, no limits and absolutely no order. My projects change with my moods but for the last few years, my main focus has been paper art. Cards, collage, mixed media and as many techniques as I can get to. My inspiration comes from everywhere.

I hope you enjoy your visit.



Saturday, March 5, 2011

GLUE, PAPER AND PAINT...OH MY!


While at the Thrift Store last Wednesday, I picked up this sweet little pink jewelry box, perfect for upcycling.
That evening, I peeled away the glossy pink paper. I wanted any glue or paint I used to really stick so the gloss had to go. This took a couple hours while watching tv and was messy too 'cuz the stuff would flake instead of peel- ugh!
The next day I began covering it with dry embossed and punched pieces of card stock. I also glued on thin paper to reinforce corners or any areas that were weakened by stripping the pink layer away. Then I painted the outside with the blue paint. Once dry, I gave it a wash of tan paint and rubbed off the excess leaving tan paint in the recessed areas. Once it all dried, I measured and cut the fabric I wanted to use for lining. It was then I decided I wanted to remove the tray and the metal hardware holding it. I should have done this FIRST but at that point I still wanted it the way it was. So, I very carefully used pliers and patience to remove it without destroying the outside. Whew!

This is how it looked yesterday. I added dividers to the tray and bottom of the box, then covered all of it with fabric and gloss Mod Podge. The lid has hooks across the top for necklaces and the ribbons will hold rings and pins.
Today I looked at it and decided to change it again. Just added some burnt umber paint to the outside, wiped some away and once dry the entire box was rubbed with waxed paper. Thanks for that tip Jutta! This not only gives it a satiny finish but protects it as well. It sits on my bathroom counter. Here's the finished product---


One last detail for you- the tray holds my earrings. The foam bases that come with decorative brads are perfect for stabbing my post earrings into.

So, that's what I've worked on lately. Fifty cents and a little play  work and I have a new little jewelry box.

You gotta like that!

Thanks for looking and have a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Outstanding. Looking forward to seeing it in person. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Holly! You are such a creative girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE IT!!! Looks "antiquey" !! I'll never look at a little old jewelry box the same way again!! :)

    ReplyDelete